The releases of this section are outdated and will not be supported. The relating packages may work, but we encourage you to install a recent KDE release.
1. install regular cygwin distribution
2. Install xfree86 server and check that is running
3. download all files in this distribution into a new directory
5. call the setup.exe and install needed packages (at first no devel and src
packages are needed)
Note: kdemisc contains files which are copied into /home/administrator (.xinitrc
and .xserverrc) and may overwrite existing files.
If you don't want this, don't install kdemisc. Instead unpack kdemisc
by hand with 'tar -xjvf kdemisc-1.1.2-b1.tar.bz2' in another directory
and inspect the containing files.
For additional infos relating this look at topic 10
6. Change environment in /etc/profile
Add the following line to your PATH environment variable in /etc/profile
set KDEDIR in /etc/profile to
7. set time zone in /etc/profile (Infos under http://www.cygwin.com)
middle/eastern europe example (from the cygwin mailing list)
8. be shure that the path to the xserver binaries and dll's (usually /usr/X11R6/bin) is available
in the PATH environment (for adding this see topic 6)
9. reread /etc/profile
10.install the X-relating startup files
After installing the kde-misc archive, some x related config files (.xinitrc and .xserverrc)
are installed in the default home directory /home/administrator.
If you don't use this dir as you home directory copy this file to your home directory.
$ cp /home/administrator/.x* $HOME